Thursday, November 4, 2010

Things. Are. Happening.

Greetings, fastidious readers, of which I am sure there are none. It has been a long time, hasn't it? I suppose a life update is in order, for the approximately zero readers who do not know me personally. Having graduated Vassar College with much pomp, circumstance, tears, booze, etc., I am now on my way towards the vast, glittering prize that is a PhD. At present I am seated in my office chair of questionable quality in my office of decidedly poor quality in the psychology building of my university in sunny Los Angeles. It is 97 degrees today. On the fourth of November. Truly glorious.

As a developmental psychology student, I am studying not babbling babies or ferocious toddlers but rather tweens, teens, adolescents, young adults, emerging adults (a fancy name coined by psychologists who want to justify the amount of research done on 18-22 year old co-eds), &etc. Specifically, I am studying the way they interact online. That's right, I am basically majoring in ANGSTY TEENAGE INTERNET STUDIES. This is what I am being paid to do. Awesome, non? As such, I thought it would be appropriate to get the old blog rolling again. In the interim, I have been found most frequently trolling the following social media communities: Tumblr (I can be found at bonbonsofsin.tumblr.com, though I don't promise anything groundbreaking), Twitter (@lauren_sherm, mostly ruminations on Barnes and Noble, the perils of nannying, drinking wine in bathtubs) and Livejournal (but my personal LJ is deader 'n a doornail, so it is not even worth mentioning). Someday some genius will figure out how to combine all of these things into one giant mega-site. And it won't be Mark Zuckerburg.

Just kidding, that is never going to happen. Frankly, I am surprised Facebook has managed to combine so many aspects of other SNSs and remained relevant, despite privacy issues, my grandmother having a facebook, etc. Brief intermission now to gaze at Zuckerburg's fictional alter ego or, more specifically, the beautiful and infinitely nerdy man who plays him.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
via

Poor quality, unknown tumblr origin, but can we talk about the fact that usually the image of a grown man wearing New Balance sneakers outside of the gym causes me great emotional strife, and yet somehow... no cognitive dissonance. He is dressed exactly the way my fashion-clueless male friends used to dress in 9th grade. Why is this endearing?

Oh and, of course:

It's actually the first time that Nylon managed to find someone who subscribes to the lifestyle unironically. Nice work. Now just send someone out to take care of Terry Richardson and maybe I'll consider reading you again ever.

Longer intermission than initially planned. Therefore, I will save the psychobabble for next time. Until then, farewell. Sorry about the whole crappy weather all the time thing, East Coasters.

1 comment:

  1. We love the crappy weather Sherman, I wouldn't touch that sunny stuff with a stick!

    Also, keep blogging. I miss you.

    Also, where's my mail lady?

    Looove, Krause.

    ReplyDelete